The purpose of the Fogarty Emerging Global Leader Award is to provide research support and protected time (three to five years) to an early career research scientist from a low- or middle-income country (LMIC) who holds a junior faculty position at an LMIC academic or research institution, as defined by the World Bank (http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications/country-and-lending-groups, including “low-income,” “lower-middle-income,” and “upper-middle-income” countries). This intensive, mentored research career development experience is expected to lead to an independently funded research career at the LMIC institution or in another LMIC.
This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) invites applications from LMIC scientists from any health-related discipline who propose career development activities and a research project that is relevant to the health priorities of their country under the mentorship of LMIC and U.S. mentors.
Upcoming application deadlines:
- Non-AIDS: November 3, 2022; November 3, 2023
- AIDS: December 9, 2022; December 11, 2023
- Only low- or middle-income country (LMIC) institutions are eligible.
- Income categories are defined by The World Bank Country and Lending Groups .
- Country eligibility for Fogarty International Training Grants applies.
- Eligibility for applications with Independent Clinical Trials (PAR-21-251)
- Eligibility for applications without Independent Clinical Trials (PAR-21-252)
- Answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs)