This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
As a member of the Population Sciences Program of the Cancer Center and a cancer epidemiologist, I conduct research on the epidemiology of cancer. At this time, I am the PI of the NIH funded African Collaborative Center for Microbiome and Genomics Research (ACCME) which is one of the NIH/Wellcome Trust funded Human Heredity and Health in Africa (H3Africa) initiative on genomics research and education in Africa. ACCME’s current project is enrolling 10,000 women in Nigeria and following them up every 6 months for research focused on integrative epidemiology of persistent high risk HPV infection, host germline and somatic genomics and epigenomics, and vaginal microenvironment (cytokines and microbiome) and risk of cervical cancer. As part of this project, I established a comprehensive genomics laboratory in Nigeria including facilities for epigenetics and next generation sequencing using Illumina NextSeq500.
I am PI for the NIH funded Training Program in Non-Communicable Diseases Research in Nigeria (Traping-NCD) that has trained 12 advanced degrees and post-doctoral trainees to date. Trainees in this program have conducted several nutritional epidemiology studies in Nigeria. This includes the development of a Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ) for African foods consumed in Nigeria and the food composition database (FCD) to convert this into nutrients. They are also validating the FCD database against the NCI ASA24. This training program is developing the resources for research into epidemiological risk factors of cancer in Nigeria and is currently implementing a case control study of genomic, microbiome and environmental risk for breast cancer in Africa.
I also direct the Fogarty funded West African Bioethics Training program which has provided medium term training leading to Certificates in Research Ethics for 842 biomedical researchers, Masters’ degree in Bioethics to 34 individuals and Online WAB-CITI Training program to 6115 participants in West Africa. This project builds the capacity of African collaborators to conduct ethical research and extends to building local infrastructure for regulation of research. We also conduct research into the ethical aspects of enrolling participants in genomics and cancer research in Africa.
In Baltimore, I am working with colleagues at the University of Maryland Greenebaum Cancer Center and University of Maryland College Park to develop a research program on cancer disparities among Africans in Africa, recent African immigrants to the United States and African Americans in order to better understand the role of genetics, environment cultural and socio-economic factors in cancer prevention, treatment seeking behavior and outcomes.
I direct the graduate course in cancer epidemiology, which I started during the fall 2010 semester and has been completed by 15 students to date. The course is now available to students across the University System of Maryland and attracts lecturers and resource persons from the National Cancer Institute and surrounding institutions.
Cancer epidemiology, Genomics epidemiology, Nutrition epidemiology, NCD research, Research ethics
Links of Interest
1978-1984 BM, ChB Hons. - University of Jos, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
2000-2004 Sc.D. in Nutrition Epidemiology and minor in Biostatistics, Harvard University, Boston, MA
Post Graduate Education and Training
1987-1993 Postgraduate Surgery (Oncology) - University College Hospital, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
- Boyle P., Autier P., Adebamowo C., Anderson B. O. Badwe R. A., Ashton L. P., Yamaguchi N. (Eds.) World Breast Cancer Report 2012. International Prevention Research Institute. Lyon, France 2013
Peer reviewed articles
- Dareng E. O., Ma B., Famooto A. O., Akarolo-Anthony S. N., Offiong R. A., Olaniyan O., Dakum P. S., Wheeler C. M., Fadrosh D., Yang H., Gajer P., Brotman R. M., Ravel J., Adebamowo C. A. Prevalent high-risk HPV infection and vaginal microbiota in Nigerian women. Epidemiol. Infect. 2016 Jan;144(1):123-37. PubMed PMID: 26062721
- Jedy-Agba E. E., Oga E. A., Odutola M., Abdullahi Y. M., Popoola A., Achara P., Afolayan E., Banjo A. A., Ekanem I. O., Erinomo O., Ezeome E., Igbinoba F., Obiorah C., Ogunbiyi O., Omonisi A., Osime C., Ukah C., Osinubi P., Hassan R., Blattner W., Dakum P., Adebamowo C. A. Developing National Cancer Registration in Developing Countries - Case Study of the Nigerian National System of Cancer Registries. Front Public Health. 2015 Jul 30;3:186. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2015.00186. eCollection 2015. Review. PubMed PMID: 26284233; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4519655
- Adebamowo S. N., Ma B., Zella D., Famooto A., Ravel J., Adebamowo C. And ACCME Research Group Mycoplasma hominis and Mycoplasma genitalium in the Vaginal Microbiota and Persistent High-Risk Human Papillomavirus Infection. Frontiers in Public Health 2017; 50(4): Epub 2017 June 26. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2017.00140.
- Jedy-Agba E., McCormack V., Olaomi O., Badejo W., Yilkudi M., Yawe T., Ezeome E., Salu I., Miner E., Anosike I., Adebamowo S. N., Achusi B., Dos-Santos-Silva I., Adebamowo C. Determinants of stage at diagnosis of breast cancer in Nigerian women: Sociodemographic, breast cancer awareness, health care access and clinical factors. Cancer Causes Control. 2017 Jul 28; 7: 685-697. doi: 10.1007/s10552-017-0894-y.
- Adebamowo S. N., Olawande O., Famooto A. O., Dareng E. O., Offiong A. R., Adebamowo C. A.Persistent Low-Risk and High-Risk HPV Infections of the Uterine Cervix in HIV Negative and HIV Positive Women. Frontiers in Public Health. 2017 Jul 21; 5: 178. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2017.00178. eCollection 2017. PMID: 28785554.
- Adam Abeshouse, Clement Adebamowo, Sally N. Adebamowo, Rehan Akbani, Teniola Akeredolu, Adrian Ally, Matthew L. Anderson, Pavana Anur, Elizabeth L. Appelbaum, Joshua Armenia, J. Todd Auman, Matthew H. Bailey, Laurence Baker, Miruna Balasundaram, Saianand Balu, Floris P. Barthel, John Bartlett, Stephen B. Baylin, Madhusmita Behera, Dmitry Belyaev, Joesph Bennett, Christopher Benz, Rameen Beroukhim, Michael Birrer, Thèrése Bocklage, Tom Bodenheimer, Lori Boice, Moiz S. Bootwalla, Jay Bowen, Reanne Bowlby, Jeff Boyd, Andrew S. Brohl, Denise Brooks, Lauren Byers, Rebecca Carlsen, Patricia Castro, Hsiao-Wei Chen, Andrew D. Cherniack, Fréderic Chibon, Lynda Chin, Juok Cho, Eric Chuah, Sudha Chudamani, Carrie Cibulskis, Lee A. D. Cooper, Leslie Cope, Matthew G. Cordes, Daniel Crain, Erin Curley, Ludmila Danilova, Fanny Dao, Ian J. Davis, Lara E. Davis, Timothy Defreitas, Keith Delman, John A. Demchok, George D. Demetri, Elizabeth G. Demicco, Noreen Dhalla, Lixia Diao, Li Ding, Phil DiSaia, Peter Dottino, Leona A. Doyle, Esther Drill, Michael Dubina, Jennifer Eschbacher, Konstantin Fedosenko, Ina Felau, Martin L. Ferguson, Scott Frazer, Catrina C. Fronick, Victoria Fulidou, Lucinda A. Fulton, Robert S. Fulton, Stacey B. Gabriel, Jianjiong Gao, Qingsong Gao, Johanna Gardner, Julie M. Gastier-Foster, Carl M. Gay, Nils Gehlenborg, Mark Gerken, Gad Getz, Andrew K. Godwin, Eryn M. Godwin, Elena Gordienko, Juneko E. Grilley-Olson, David A. Gutman, David H. Gutmann, D. Neil Hayes, Apurva M. Hegde, David I. Heiman, Zachary Heins, Carmen Helsel, Austin J. Hepperla, Kelly Higgins, Katherine A. Hoadley, Shital Hobensack, Robert A. Holt, Dave B. Hoon, Jason L. Hornick, Alan P. Hoyle, Xin Hu, Mei Huang, Carolyn M. Hutter, Mary Iacocca, Davis R. Ingram, Michael Ittmann, Lisa Iype, Stuart R. Jefferys, Kevin B. Jones, Corbin D. Jones, Steven J. M. Jones, Tamara Kalir, Beth Y. Karlan, Apollon Karseladze, Katayoon Kasaian, Jaegil Kim, Ritika Kundra, Hanluen Kuo, Marc Ladanyi, Phillip H. Lai, Peter W. Laird, Erik Larsson, Michael S. Lawrence, Alexander J. Lazar, Sanghoon Lee, Darlene Lee, Kjong-Van Lehmann, Kristen M. Leraas, Jenny Lester, Douglas A. Levine, Irene Li, Tara M. Lichtenberg, Pei Lin, Jia Liu, Wenbin Liu, Eric M. Liu, Laxmi Lolla, Yiling Lu, Yussanne Ma, Rashna Madan, Dennis T. Maglinte, Anthony Magliocco, Robert G. Maki, David Mallery, Georgy Manikhas, Elaine R. Mardis, Armaz Mariamidze, Marco A. Marra, John A. Martignetti, Cathleen Martinez, Michael Mayo, Michael D. McLellan, Sam Meier, Shaowu Meng, Matthew Meyerson, Piotr A. Mieczkowski, Christopher A. Miller, Gordon B. Mills, Richard A. Moore, Scott Morris, Lisle E. Mose, Evgeny Mozgovoy, Andrew J. Mungall, Karen Mungall, Michael Nalisnik, Rashi Naresh, Yulia Newton, Michael S. Noble, Janet E. Novak, Angelica Ochoa, Narciso Olvera, Taofeek K. Owonikoko, Oxana Paklina, Jeremy Parfitt, Joel S. Parker, Alessandro Pastore, Joseph Paulauskis, Robert Penny, Elena Pereira, Charles M. Perou, Amy H. Perou, Todd Pihl, Raphael E. Pollock, Olga Potapova, Amie J. Radenbaugh, Suresh S. Ramalingam, Nilsa C. Ramirez, W. Kimryn Rathmell, Chandrajit P. Raut, Richard F. Riedel, Colleen Reilly, Sheila M. Reynolds, Jeffrey Roach, A. Gordon Robertson, Jason Roszik, Brian P. Rubin, Sara Sadeghi, Gordon Saksena, Andrew Salner, Francisco Sanchez-Vega, Chris Sander, Jacqueline E. Schein, Heather K. Schmidt, Nikolaus Schultz, Steven E. Schumacher, Harman Sekhon, Yasin Senbabaoglu, Galiya Setdikova, Candace Shelton, Troy Shelton, Ronglai Shen, Yan Shi, Juliann Shih, Ilya Shmulevich, Gabriel L. Sica, Janae V. Simons, Samuel Singer, Payal Sipahimalani, Tara Skelly, Nicholas Socci, Heidi J. Sofia, Matthew G. Soloway, Paul Spellman, Qiang Sun, Patricia Swanson, Angela Tam, Donghui Tan, Roy Tarnuzzer, Nina Thiessen, Eric Thompson, Leigh B. Thorne, Pan Tong, Keila E. Torres, Matt van de Rijn, David J. Van Den Berg, Brian A. Van Tine, Umadevi Veluvolu, Roel Verhaak, Doug Voet, Olga Voronina, Yunhu Wan, Zhining Wang, Jing Wang, John N. Weinstein, Daniel J. Weisenberger, Matthew D. Wilkerson, Richard K. Wilson, Lisa Wise, Tina Wong, Winghing Wong, John Wrangle, Ye Wu, Matthew Wyczalkowski, Liming Yang, Christina Yau, Venkata Yellapantula, Jean C. Zenklusen, Jiashan J. Zhang, Hailei Zhang, Hongxin Zhang, Erik Zmuda. Comprehensive and Integrated Genomic Characterization of Adult Soft Tissue Sarcomas. Cell. 2017 Nov; 171(4): 950 - 965. e28, doi:10.1016/j.cell.2017.10.014
Additional Publication Citations
Member of Keystone Symposia Scientific Advisory Board
Co-Chair of the H3Africa Steering Committee